Saturday, January 08, 2011

Hunkering down..

It's winter, storms are inevitable no matter how we might hope that the Chinook will blow through right until spring keeping it around a nice and toasty 0 with hardly any snow (at least on the roads!).

Well that luck ran out today with the storm that blew in, snow started flying before lunch while we were at swimming lessons and just seemed to get worse as the day went on. Thankfully not as bad as some of the places that have been hit lately, but still blowing around and making roads treacherous while I ran errands. Nearly froze my fingers getting bottles out of the car at the recycling depot, which is a reminder to wear your mittens! Might not be that cold but the wind chill can really mess with that!

Once the errands were done for the day, I settled in and made a big pot of hamburger soup (that seems to be our main cold comfort food, or at least one of them, the recipe came from my Nana) and now that the soup has been eaten and supper dishes put away it's time for a bit more hunkering down.

A movie night in with a friend (Easy A) is the plan, a big bowl of highly buttered popcorn and a large mug of tea and my knitting and probably her embroidery (I'm easing her into the knitting and picked up some of my old cross-stitch also).

What's on the needles?

Well, as always a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I finally finished the outer layer of the Fiddlehead mittens and now that they have been blocked I can do the lining. I've also got to finish my Mr Greenjeans, the multiple pairs of socks and the two shawls on the needles. That's my resolution btw. Finish a sweater for myself and finish as many projects on the needles as I can without starting too many new ones. I have plenty of variety started for my Flibbertigibbet ways, travel size and less so also, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Putting a tired Velociraptor to bed and then to settle in for a nice evening.

No comments: