Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tendonitis, knitting, shopping and other random thoughts

Yeah, I hate that stuff. I managed to strain my wrist last September at a Dropkick Murphy's concert while fending off crowd-surfers in the mosh pit (man that was SUCH a blast, I wish I could've gone to Billy Talent and done the same..) and ever since then my wrist likes to act up.

I'm also on the computer most of the day at work, and I'm an internet junkie at home (when I can spare time between life of course) but even the jelly wrist rest for my mouse pad doesn't help a whole lot (don't have one for the keyboard, awkward to put one on my set-up and how I type).

So as I knit tonight I can feel my wrist hurting just a little, the precursor to possibly more hurting and icing and taking motrin while sticking it in a brace to immobilize it. And no knitting.

You really don't realize how much you use your wrist in everyday actions until you stick it in a brace. Knitting becomes a very awkward thing when you have to keep your wrist straight. Try doing it if you don't believe me.

But, it seems to be fine again for the moment and I've finished the front panels of Chill Chaser (sorry, no pics.. I really will get around to taking them, some day) and have got a few inches on the first sleeve. When I work on it, it really goes fast. I'm just such a flibbertigibbet that I don't work on it much (since I also have those socks that I'm still working on, and I really ought to finish the Ravenclaw scarf in time for the last Harry Potter book). I'll find time. Somewhere.

My son is really excited about the sweater though, when I pull it out to knit he wants to sit next to me and hold the ball of yarn. Which is really cute, but doesn't work so well when he holds it tight enough that I can't pull more yarn out to keep knitting. It seems to be turning out good so far though *knocks on wood* and soon as I do the rest of the knitting I'll be doing the blocking and finishing.

I've never had to seam a knitted item in my life. Thankfully, I've got books to help me.

In other news, I did a crazy thing. I saw the Namaste bag on Subway Knitter and I bought it (in chocolate, not there, elsewhere, as I heard some not good things about their shipping of bagsand found better reviews at Scout's Swag). I must've been feverish. I really do not need another bag (knitting or otherwise). I don't know what has happened to me, but me.. the tomboy, the hater of shopping, has started a collection of bags and purses.

Now I must admit, I haven't taken it too far. All the purses and bags in my posession I do use on a regular basis. Purses get rotated as the mood and occasion strikes, bigger bags and totes get used to store knitting and books, or other things (for example I have the huge ugly straw looking bag that hangs on a hook on the back of my door to hold all my bandannas and belts and the like) but if I keep going like this I will be buying tiny useless bags that I will not use.

Someone needs to stop me!

Or distract me with yarn.

But now, now is the time to go rest my wrist, drink a lot of water and pack away my knitting. The bus has been emptier lately on the way to work, so I can sit and knit! I've also gotten a few more audiobooks (the first three Dresden Files) and grabbed some radio shows (The Shadow, Roy Rogers, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) to listen to. In some ways I really will miss my bus time when I finally get my license and a car.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Hi Arsie - good to see that you're doing so well. Trust me when I tell you that driving on Calgary streets lately hasn't been all it's cracked up to be. Let me know if you need help with seaming. I'll be happy to walk you through it.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say hello someplace. Found [url=http://www.google.com/ncr]you guys through google[/url]. Hope to contribute more soon!
-appollaTeerb